Thursday, October 22, 2009

FAQ #5

"Why you?"

Nobody is sure why I had this stroke. We do know that my left carotid artery tore and a clot formed which blocked the blood flowing to my brain. In other words, this wasn't to do with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes. My neurologist said from the time of the tear to the time of the stroke was probably not more than a week. I had no trauma the week before my stroke, so it seems to have been a spontaneous rupture.

Everyone laughs when I say this, but being out of commission was really a good break for me. Even now, I am forced to take everything more slowly and be satisfied (thrilled, actually) with what little I can accomplish. Additionally, I had been craving some silent time for a while now. Seriously though: I don't want to speak for them, but I know for sure that some of my nurses and therapists, and my family as well, got something out of this experience beyond what a "normal" stroke patient would give. And that's enough reason for me.


1 comment:

  1. It's true. My husband Matt's stroke forced him (AND me!) to slow down and refocus and then not only appreciate but marvel at his accomplishments. (His was the high blood pressure kind of stroke.)
    And I'm thrilled to hear about your progress!!!

    ReplyDelete