Monday, March 29, 2010
The front is done. This is Susan Duckworth's Venetian Tiles Cardigan with some modifications. I did the ribbing in intarsia instead of all one color, I made each set of tiles different (there were four varieties), and I did the shoulder shaping with short rows instead of binding off. Also, I changed the upper row of tiles to a row of three instead of four because I plan to make this a V-neck vest, and that will match the adaption to the fronts.
She didn't choose this pattern or the colors, so I'm hoping she likes it.
Monday, March 22, 2010
Since September I have been working on music for Harmony, a musical with book and lyrics by Betty Cooper Hirt. The story is based on a real life romance between an Appalachian writer and a New York Jew. We have had a lot of fun so far, and I hope to have more to show you soon. The music spans the range from bluegrass to swing to military march, with lots of traditional Appalachian ballads and hearty show tunes in between. We are very close to having a complete draft.
This has been a necessary detour from Nannerl as I get my brain in shape for book writing again. I found that my ability to do things in the correct order (like putting on potholders before opening the oven) was impaired. A little re-routing was necessary in order for me to feel comfortable tackling the dramatic arc of Act Two. I think I'm ready now.